Halloween Blood Splatter Nail Art

Saturday 18 October 2014

Hi lovelies,

So, guess what? I've got more Halloween themed nails for you today. Yay! These ones are some gruesome blood splattered ones, which I am rather proud of. I've seen a lot of this style around recently and thought I'd give it a go. To be honest, from the pictures I'd seen, I wasn't that enamoured with the concept, nor the final look, but I thought that I'd give it a go as it did fit in with my Halloween theme and it didn't look too hard nor time consuming. However, when I had finished them, I completely changed my mind - they look amazing! I couldn't stop staring at them all afternoon.

Also, I took a lot of pictures. Just to warn you. :)



Originally I had planned to put a Devil's Trap over my ring finger as a tribute to the Devil/Satan/Hell aspect of Halloween (and to slip in a reference to Supernatural..) but once I'd done all my splattering, I felt like adding any more would just over-crowd the design. So, alas, that will have to wait until another design (although I have used a Devil's Trap in an old design). Also, once I'd done all my splattering, I was both so happy with the final look and so horrified by the amount of clean up that I was going to have to do that I couldn't bear the thought of doing any more to the design.




As to how I did them, it was actually a very simple process. I painted on my base coat (Snow Me White by Sinful Colors) and then stuck a straw into my bottle of red polish, placed the polish covered end above my nail and blew through the other end. It did take a little bit of practice, but once I got it down, it was actually quite straight forward. However, it was messy! Very messy...

Low quality fuzzy phone picture showing you how messy this mani was ft. drafts for my Captain America nails
Also, I ended up using two different reds, simply because of the thickness. The first one I tried was an older polish (Cherry Red by Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear) and was quite thick. Which meant while it made good thick spots of 'blood', it wasn't so good at doing the thin splatters that I also needed. Luckily, I had Natio's Ruby on hand, which, while being a little too pink for my liking, does have a very thin and runny formula, which was great for splattering on in little squirts.

Look at that artistic and edgy photography! :P

Also, I would definitely recommend that you put masking tape or cellotape or a peel-off base coat or something on your fingers to protect them from the flying polish (on that note, make sure you have paper or something underneath you to protect the table for getting polish on because it will go flying when you blow through that straw). Actually, you could probably even put on those disposable food gloves and just cut the finger tips off. I bet that would work quite well. As for me, I foolishly didn't put anything on my fingers and as a result I was left with a clean-up job that took my about 3 times the length of the time it took me to create the look and it was just a pain. Because red. Red polish... Whenever you try to remove it it just makes you look like you've murdered someone. However, if you are wearing these as part of a killer costume (hehehehe) like a serial killer or evil doctor or something, it would look great if you just skipped the clean-up all together and make all the extra polish seem deliberate.

This design is actually a really great one for beginners because, like Galaxy Nails, you don't have to get each nail looking the same for it to work (in fact the more different they are the better) and there is literally no skill involved. In fact, I think I used the same straw-blowing technique with paper and paper when I was about 6. It also will work equally well on short nails and long nails.



If you do feel like attempting these, heed my tips!
1. Use two different reds - a thicker one for big splotches and a smaller one for lighter splatters
2. Please put masking tape or cellotape or a peel off base coat or something to protect your fingers or hands because clean up is the biggest pain

Just so everything is here in one place, for these I used
Snow Me White by Sinful Colors (white)
Cherry Red by Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear (red)
Ruby by Natio (red)

And it was finished with one coat of Super Fat Drying Top-Coat by Poshe.

Hope you liked these and sorry for the super long and weirdly detailed post... 




No comments :

Post a Comment

Getting, reading and replying to your comments make my day, so please go and and tell me your thoughts.